Nov 17, 2010

Vacation?

Ok so lately I have been thinking about "Vacationing" a lot. My family are not big vacationers. Most trips away from home were for some other primary reason and then we had a few hours away from home. So, as I have been brought up, I do not put much priority in going on Vacations.

Recently my Grandpa, my father's father, sold his business. You could say he "retired." My Grandpa lives to work. I have never known him to go on any sort of Vacation or do anything that wasn't 100% practical. So, when finding out that he sold his business, I said to him "So what are you going to do now.... go on vacation?" (obviously being a smart alec). He didn't miss a beat in replying to me... "My whole life has been a vacation.... everything I have done, I have enjoyed."

I have thought about this a lot in the past few weeks. What a life.... to be able to consider it a vacation everyday. Could I say that about my life? Some days yes.... Most days no. So many of us worry about "getting away" and "going on a vacation" soooo often. We seem to live our day to day lives in hopes of having a few days away from it....

I would like to be able to say, as my grandpa has, that I enjoy everything that I do. If our lives are so bad that we always want to get away, maybe we should change something. Make your every day life worth living so that you can stop thinking about escaping. We are the only person who can change our situation. Sure, other people influence our lives but we all make the decision to be happy or not....

I want my life to be better than a vacation. And I believe that it can be because I have been blessed with the best family ever. I have the gospel in my life. I have a good job. I could not ask for more....

1 comment: