Jan 29, 2014

Chance and Zuka

Zuka has been my baby since January 2011, when we got her. Our family dog had passed away a few years before and I had wanted a dog badly for years. My sister in law told us she was pregnant December 2010 and my baby hunger was so strong I could hardly stand it. So what did we do? Got a dog!

In thinking of starting a family, we knew it would be a huge adjustment for Zuka. Zuka is a huge part of our lives. She's always inside, aloud on beds and couches. We rarely go anywhere without taking her. She's straight up spoiled, but we wouldn't have it any other way. With the new baby coming, I didn't want her to feel as though she had been replaced. Things would be different, thats for sure. But we wanted her to still be a big part of our life and involved in everything.

I was anxious for Zuka to meet Chance when we brought him home from the hospital. What happened made me a little sad. She "nothing"ed him. She acknowledged his existence and went on her way. It broke my heart a little. I wanted her to be excited about this new little friend.




As time went on, it went from nothing-ness to avoidance. Zuka didn't want to be by him. I believe she sensed that he was special and was just being careful but it made me so sad. I would go by her with Chance and she would move. I would lay him by her and she would look the other way. This wasn't how I had planned for it to be at all. But I persevered. I kept introducing them and praising Zuka for her careful and good behavior. They would have moments where they seemed to be bonding. Or at least that maybe Zuka was starting to understand what/who he was. Those moments gave me hope.

In the last month, things have changed so much. These two have become fast friends. Zuka no longer moved away from him. If he is on the floor, she will go lay by him. She watches over him. She is especially aware of him while he is in the bath tub (and always has been). I am so excited. They are starting to interact with each other. Chance will touch her, pull her eyes, ears, lips, and hair. She just sits there. Doesn't even move away. She is so patient and tolerant. I couldn't be happier with her conduct.

In training her, I made sure to pet her everywhere. Touch her face. Touch her paws. I wanted her to be used to everything and no over react. It's so rewarding to see the work pay off.




No comments:

Post a Comment