Jan 22, 2014

Homemade Baby Food

When I was pregnant, I had no intention of making my own baby food. I'm by no means a "homemaker." I rarely make homemade adult food, why would I attempt homemade baby food? Well, Chance started eating solids at 4 months and has really taken to them. He eats on average, two Gerber 1st foods a day. So $1 a day (ish). That may not sound like a lot but that's $30 a month, on top of the formula that is still his main source of nutrition. Baby food was going to put us in the poor house! So I had to change my attitude about homemade baby food. I referred to Pinterest for some ideas. Keep in mind that my baby is only 5 months so I didn't get super creative with flavors and such but at least I know the process now. Here's what I ended up doing:





Here are the instructions:

Apples and Pears:
Peel. Cut into chunks. Boil til you can stick a fork in them. Blend. Fill ice tray.
I bought three of each and it filled an ice tray with a little left over.

Carrots: 
Boil (takes longer than apples and pears). Blend (We had to add a little water). Fill ice tray.
I bought one small bag of baby carrots and it filled one ice tray.

Peas:
Put them in a bowl. Microwave til soft. Blend (We had to add a little water). Fill ice tray.
One small bag of frozen peas filled one ice tray.

Yams and Sweet Potatoes: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut in half length-wise and put flat sides down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 50-60 min (depending on thickness etc). Peel. Blend (We had to add about a half cup of water). Fill ice tray.
I bought one of each and they each filled one ice tray with a little left over.

THAT'S IT!

Freeze for 4 hours (ish, just until solid). Put the cubes in a zip lock bag. When you want to use one, take one out and microwave it for 45 seconds and you're ready to go. If it seems too thick, add some water. I like to just add rice cereal if baby food (homemade or store bought) seems thin. It works great! My baby loves it. I love it. We are saving a ton of money. And I feel like an awesome mom because now I know exactly what I am feeding my child! 

No comments:

Post a Comment