Gosh where do I begin. Let me start by saying I have the best parents on earth. I do. I honestly cannot think of one thing that I would change in my upbringing. They did a fantastic job and helped me (also continue to help me) become the best person I can be.
My Mother
Cooey, as I call her. She is kindest woman on earth. She would do anything for anyone without a second thought. She delights in it. She can get along with anyone (if she wants to). She is a hard worker. She is dedicated. She loves to read. Favorite color is blue. I love hanging out with my mom. She has been and always will be my best friend (next to my spouse of course).
When I was 17 I broke up with my first boyfriend whom I had dated for over a year. I was devastated. I had spent every lunch with him since we went to the same school. Now that we broke up I didn't know what to do... so I just went home. My mom had a full time job at this point so I was home alone, which I was ok with. My mom had lots of friends at work. They always had something going on for lunch. I was glad that she could get out of the house and not feel cooped up all day. That evening my mom asked me when I had ate a sandwich. I told her that I had come home for lunch. She nodded and moved on to the next subject.
The next day, I came home for lunch as I had done before. Only this time my mom was already there with lunch made and sat out for both of us. I was in shock. I told her that she didn't need to do that, I knew she always went out with her friends. Without missing a beat she told me that there is nothing and no one who is more important than I am to her. Also, that she didn't want me to be alone for lunch.
This may seem silly to you but it was a big deal to me. Just one of many random acts of kindness that my mother does so frequently for me. She is always thinking of others and what she can do to help someone else. What a great example she is in my life. If I'm half the mom she has been to me, my kids better count their blessings!
My Father
I'm not sure what I call my dad. Typically something silly like "papa" or "daddy." I would never call him these names seriously, we aren't like that. Only in a joking manner in which he would laugh and say "yes, mandy-brat" or something to that effect. My dad is the ultimate dad. Smart. My dad knows everything. I can quote my friends several times saying "let's ask your dad." Funny. He can be the comic relief of any crowd. Responsible. Supported a wife and family from a young age and has done it well, I might add. Tough. My dad could totally beat up your dad.
In personality I am very similar to my dad. This caused some contention when I was younger because my dad does not argue unless he knows he will win (something I do now). I am so proud of the traits he has passed onto me. Many of the triumphs I have had in work and school I can track back to something I have learned from my dad. He is the epitome of hard work. I can't recall a single time when I could categorize my dad as being lazy or putting things off to be done by someone else.
I love to work with my dad. I can think of several Saturday projects which my dad would have planned out for us to accomplish. I was always a major part, not just a "helper." He made me feel special and needed. Like the project simply could not be accomplished without my help. Things were always organized so that we could be as efficient as possible. And the chores always ended with us getting ice cream or something like that. Not cheesy, sit on the curb with your dad as you talk about rainbows and butterflies.... more like swinging by DQ on the way home, getting whatever you wanted but usually something like a butterscotch dilly bar. We would eat it on the way home, get showered and cleaned up and we always had something fun planned to do on the Saturday night.
I love my parents. They are such great examples to me. I'm thankful that I was born to the parents I was born to. They have truly help me become the best person that I can be.
thats such a sweet story about your mom!!! lets hear it for moms!
ReplyDelete