Before I got married, whenever I went anywhere or did anything, my dad would always say "don't embarrass us..." Don't get me wrong, he didn't say it mean. I always laughed and assured him that I wouldn't. It was just something that he always said. I didn't think much about it until lately.... yes, years later.
When we are young and naive we believe that our actions and decisions effect only us. As we mature we realize that this is not true... There are few situations that we are in that we are not, in part, representing someone other than ourselves. For instance:
As children, our actions reflect on our parents. How well they raised us. What their principles are and what they instilled in us.
As parents, our actions can embarrass our children. No one wants parents who are irresponsible. Immature. Disrespectful to others, or anything else that is negative.
As spouses, we are a team with our husband/wife. We stand united. When one of us does or says something that the other would not, and definitely would not approve of, we have embarrassed our spouse.
Speaking of teams, being part of any team... be it sports, dance, music, anything! Makes you responsible for honoring and "not embarrassing" your team and your teammates. Everything you do, rather you do it with your team or not, will reflect back on that team.
"When you pull on that jersey, you represent yourself and your teammates. And the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back! Get that through your head!"-Herb Brooks (Miracle)
As siblings, people assume we have the same values. This is felt by younger siblings who have had unruly older siblings. When they have teachers that their older sibling has had, the teacher will wonder if the younger sibling will be like the older one, and sometimes may intentionally or unintentionally discriminate based on experiences with the older sibling. We leave an example and a legacy for our siblings.
As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I feel a responsibility to "not embarrass" the church. I will not pretend I'm great at this because I do many things out of selfishness that may not reflect on what I have been taught, and know is correct. However, I would like to think that I've had my small moments where someone has seen my actions and thought positively about the church because of me.
As employees we represent our employer. When people call in to my place of employment, they don't care who I am, they are talking to "Extend Health." How I choose to conduct myself reflects back not on "Amanda" but on "Extend Health." No wonder employers take hiring so seriously.... who would you WANT to represent you, if you had the option to choose?....
We are friends. We all have friends and people are aware of these friendships. Parents lay awake at night worrying about who their kids' friends are. We are affected by the people that we are around. Not only should we look for good friends but we need to BE good friends. My Aunt Martine used to tell me.. "If you hang around shit long enough, your bound to smell like it." Don't make people hold their noses when they are around your friends because of your conduct.
I've been trying to make a conscious effort to remember who I'm reflecting on when I do and say things lately. Doesn't mean I'm perfect or even close to it, but I think its something thats worth keeping in mind.
"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abe Lincoln
Have a good day and a great weekend!
i love that quote! thanks for this manda something i needed to hear :)
ReplyDeletehave a great weekend
xoxo
Awe, Remo Williams, what haven't you taught us? Good post Amanda, I remember Dad saying this, and as dumb as it sounds, it made me think a couple of times. Good advice and thoughts.
ReplyDelete